Established in 1912 as successors to Cope & Stewardson, this firm represented the partnership of Emlyn L. Stewardson and George B. Page. The relationship between the partners appears clear: Senior partner Emlyn L. Stewardson had received a degree in civil engineering from the University of Pennsylvania. Afer the death of his older brother John, he had become more important in Cope & Stewardson, but Walter Cope had remained partner-in-charge-of-design. After Cope's death in 1906, Stewardson had used the design expertise of James P. Jamieson; but when Jamieson and Stewardson parted company in 1912, former Cope & Stewardson draftsman George B. Page became the design partner. Page had attended the Atelier Laloux in Paris; he brought with him a knowledge of the traditional styles which had served the office so well in the past.
In 1926 Stewardson & Page were awarded the annual medal given by the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA for their Georgian Revival design for the highrise Insurance Company of North America (INA)Building. The success of their firm was based on a conservative treatment of style in the crucial 1920s, and many of their clients were the same as those whom Cope & Stewardson had served so successfully in years past.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.