Charles G. Etter was born in Philadelphia and graduated from Northeast High School. He attended Drexel Institute for three years through the evening program, receiving his Certificate in Constructive Drawing in 1916. By 1914, however, he was already employed in the first of a series of architectural offices where he would rise from draftsman to squad boss. These offices include Philip H. Johnson (1914-1916), Hoffman Co. and then Hoffman-Henon (1916-1926), Ralph B. Bencker (1925-1927), and the Ballinger Co. (1927-1931). In 1931 Etter established his own contracting firm, but around 1933 he and University of Pennsylvania graduate Aaron Colish launched Colish & Etter. This was followed in 1949 by the firm of Antrim & Etter, with Walter Antrim. In 1957 Etter returned to independent practice.
Etter joined the AIA in 1944 and was elected to emeritus status in 1968.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.