Furness, Evans & Co. is the successor firm to Furness & Evans. It is established in 1886 to acknowledge the efforts of younger members of the firm like Louis C. Baker, E. James Dallett, William Camac, and James Fassitt, most of whom had been added as draftsmen to the office when the practice became so large that Furness could no longer handle all of the design responsibilities himself. These younger men boasted the academic training that neither Furness nor Evans had. Baker came from Princeton University (Class of 1880); Camac had a year at the University of Pennsylvania before setting off abroad; Dallett graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in Massachusetts in 1881. (Of Fassitt very little is known.) Adding to these longtime employees came George W. Casey and Herman Kleinfelder, both of whom would remain in the office long after the death of Furness in 1912.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.