Chiefly known as an architect of Catholic churches and schools, Peter F. Getz attended the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art, but received his first practical architectural training with another architect whose specialty was Catholic projects, Rowland W. Boyle, but then continued with Cope & Stewardson (1912). By 1916 Getz was designing independent projects and soon established his own reputation with the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Among the first commissions found for him is work for Sacred Heart Church, where he added a chapel, rectory and school in 1916 (Mascher and Master streets, Philadelphia). Getz's career would continue for some forty-four years, and one of the last commissions credited to him would be the Chapel of St. Denis at St. Denis Lane and Campbell Avenue in Havertown, where he resided.
Getz was a fellow of the AIA and an active member of the Knights of Columbus and the Elks. In his youth he won several prizes in architectural drawing competitions, including second place for the Cope Memorial Prize in 1912, a year which devoted its competition to a "Memorial to John Ericsson on the Parkway." (He lost that competition to Gabriel Roth.)
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Knights of Columbus
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Archdiocese Holy Name Union
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.