Born in Philadelphia to Moses and Emily C. B. Ewing, George M. Ewing received his architectural education at Drexel Institute, where he graduated in 1912. From 1915 to 1938 he progressed from draftsman to associate in the office of Karcher & Smith and in 1938 organized his own firm, George M. Ewing Co.
As early as 1921, however, the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide began to cite independent projects for Ewing. Most of this was residential suburban work, but he also designed a Sunday School Building for Third Presbyterian Church (1921) in Chester, PA, as well as alterations to the Calcos Steel and Iron Co. warehouse in Philadelphia at 1330 North 30th Street (1936) and, in the same year, alterations to the Philadelphia Chain and Block Manufacturing Co. factory at Norris and Mascher streets in Philadelphia. These later projects would predict the nature of his independent firm which produced a number of industrial and public buildings.
Sandra L. Tatman, and
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Society of Architects
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Swarthmore Zoning Board
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.