John Flynn was born in Canada and came to the United States in 1885. By 1893 he was a working architect in Ohio, with a firehouse in Columbus, OH, to his credit. By March 1894 the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide could publish a citation for John Flynn, "architect of Columbus, Ohio," for a "home for penitent women" to be built in Berne Township, near Reading, PA, sponsored by the Order of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd; and on 25 April 1894 a notice appeared in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide that Flynn had taken rooms at southeast 6th and Walnut streets, where he will "prosecute his profession" (p. 195).
There followed many other project references for Flynn in the PRERBG, many of them for Catholic institutional projects, such as St. Margarets Church (1902) in Narberth, PA, a town where Flynn also resided for some time, and St. Francis de Sales School (1901), 917 South 47th Street in Philadelphia.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.