Edwin H. Fetterolf, son of Adam H. Fetterolf, president of Girard College from 1883 to 1910, and Anne (Hergesheimer) Fetterolf, was born in Andalusia, PA. He received his early education at the Episcopal Academy in Philadelphia and graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 1894 with his B.A. Following graduation he attended architectural drawing classes at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Drexel Institute, and the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art. At the same time he was employed by a number of local architects, including John T. Windrim, Louis C. Hickman, Frank C. Miller, and Wilson Eyre, with whom he remained six years. By 1905 Fetterolf had launched his own practice; aside from a few projects on which he worked in association with either John G. McIlvaine or <8>Valentine B. Lee8>, he remained in independent practice until his retirement in 1926.
Following his early retirement, Fetterolf devoted himself to calligraphy and decorative lettering, attaining a reputation which perhaps outdistanced his architectural work. He illuminated all of the honorary degrees presented at the University of Pennsylvania and designed most of the architectural lettering used on the Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Fetterolf joined the Philadelphia Chapter of the AlA in 1909 and the national in 1917. He was also a member of the T-Square Club, and the Philadelphia Art Club.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania (HSP)
- Philadelphia Art Club
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Philadelphia Sketch Club
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
- Drexel Institute
- Episcopal Academy
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.