The members of this highly successful firm included John Hall Rankin, Thomas M. Kellogg and Edward A. Crane. Rankin & Kellogg had already experienced some success in gaining government commissions for such buildings as the U.S. Post Office and Federal Building in Indianapolis, IN -- for which they were awarded a silver medal at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition -- but Crane's involvement lent them further credibility where federal projects were concerned. As Rankin, Kellogg & Crane, the firm designed the U.S. Department of Agriculture Building in Washington, D.C., the U.S. Army Supply Depot in San Francisco, CA, and several U.S. Marine Corps buildings in Philadelphia. In addition to the monumental designs required for such federal buildings, however, the firm was capable of producing buildings on a smaller scale, employing styles appropriate to the form, such as that for the Falls of Schuylkill branch of the Philadelphia Free Library system (1917), which is typical of the modified Pennsylvania Farmhouse style commonly used by their contemporaries in Philadelphia. The firm name reverted to Rankin & Kellogg when Crane left for independent practice in 1925, but later was succeeded by Rankin, Kellogg & Doe.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.