Arthur L. Nicholson was born in Earlseaton, Yorkshire, England, and immigrated to the United States in April 1885. He became a naturalized citizen on Feb. 23, 1892 at Rochester, NY. In a 1924 passport application, he reported living in Rochester, NY, New York City, and Philadelphia between 1885 and 1924. He was employed as an architectural draughtsman for the Philadelphia Board of Education. It is interesting to note that his identity was sworn by architect Israel Demchick who had known him for 10 years.
Although Arthur L. Nicholson appears only sporadically in the Philadelphia city directories as an architect (1904 and 1919-1922), documentation exists to suggest that he practiced in New York in 1898 before moving to Philadelphia around 1900. He was active in the T-Square Club in Philadelphia beginning in 1900 and continuing through 1906, serving on the library and executive committees. By 1903-1904 he has entered a brief association with Frank H. Keisker (Keisker & Nicholson, and the two apparently share an office at 36 South 16th Street; but in 1908 Nicholson was listed as head draftsman for Watson & Huckel by Gage Publishing Co. professional directory issued in August of that year. Nicholson then seems to drop from sight, but reappears again in the Philadelphia city directories from 1919 to 1922 in an office at 806 Perry Building and a residence in Westville, NJ. His last sighting is in the Rankin & Kellogg payroll books preserved at The Athenaeum of Philadelphia, where he is noted on the payroll from June 1928 through January 1929.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.