Biography

ARCHITECTS
Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects printer-friendly version  
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS

Described by Illustrated Philadelphia (1889)as "thorough masters in their profession," Moses & King was established in 1885 by Guy King and Arnold H. Moses with offices at 226 Walnut Street. Both architects had worked in the offices of Wilson Bros., but their partnership did not produce the wealth of industrial buildings at which the Wilson Bros. were so accomplished. Instead Moses & King concentrated on residential and church commission, particularly those in New Jersey, where Moses resided. By July, 1889 the partners lamented in an interview published in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide that current building conditions were the "worst they ever had." (10 July 1889, p. 319) Perhaps in response to this, they took on another partner, engineer George Ferris, because the 7 May 1890 issue of the PRERBG announced a name change to Moses, King & Ferris. However, this arrangement apparently only lasted for part of 1890 because the PRERBG continues to cite Moses & King commissions from 1891 until the partnership dissolved in 1896. In fact, Moses & King were so successful that in 1892 they opened a branch office in Wilkes-Barre, PA, in order to oversee a development of 50 residences which they had designed there.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.