Established in 1891 by John Hall Rankin and Thomas M. Kellogg, both former MIT students, Rankin & Kellogg flourished as one of the chief practitioners of the Beaux-Arts style so appropriate for public buildings. They rivalled Paul P. Cret in their participation in the large competitions popular in the early years of the century and reflected in their practice and styles the influence of the New York firm of McKim, Mead & White. As a result of this exposure and their use of the expected public style, Rankin & Kellogg were often the recipients of large-scale public and commercial commissions. As early as 1891 they were engaged on the Pennsylvania State Asylum for the Chronically Insane in Wernersville, PA; in 1893 they participated in the competition for the New York City Hall and received second prize, losing to their models, McKim, Mead & White. Their work for the federal government was marked by competitions, in many of which they received awards; their successful bids for federal work included: the U.S. Courthouse and Post Office, Indianapolis, IN (1900), for which they were accorded a silver medal at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, and the U.S. Post Office at 30th and Market streets in Philadelphia (1930), in which they associated with Tilden, Register & Pepper.
In 1903 the firm was succeeded by Rankin, Kellogg & Crane, a name change caused by the addition of Edward A. Crane to the firm. When Crane left in 1925, the name reverted to Rankin & Kellogg and remained so even past the death of Kellogg in 1935. Finally in 1943, a successor firm, Rankin, Kellogg & Doe, recognized the imput of Lester Adrian Doe.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.