A native Philadelphian, born to Dr. Edward A. and Josephine A. Bispham Page, George B. Page attended the Episcopal Academy. After his graduation he entered the office of Cope & Stewardson where he remained as draftsman for seven years. During that time he also worked approximately eight months for T. P. Chandler and a shorter time with Frank Miles Day. In 1894 he became the second recipient of the John Stewardson Traveling Scholarship, which enabled him to tour Europe (England, France, Switzerland, Italy, and Greece) and to spend about eight months studying in the Atelier Laloux. In all he stayed approximately two years in Europe before returning to Philadelphia, where he commenced individual practice in September, 1897.
In 1912 Emlyn L. Stewardson, whom Page had met during his days with Cope & Stewardson, established with him the firm of Stewardson & Page, successors to Cope & Stewardson. Although Page's work until that time had been primarily residential, Stewardson brought with him the reputation and many of the projects of the old firm, and the work continued with hospitals, commercial and academic buildings. In 1926 Stewardson & Page won the medal of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA for their design for the new building for the Insurance Co. of North America in Philadelphia.
After Stewardson's death in 1936, Page continued to practice alone. He had become a junior member of the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA in 1897, following that with the national AIA as an associate member in 1899. He became an Emeritus Member of the AIA in 1948. He joined the T-Square Club in 1890 and became a professional member of the AIA in 1901.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- University Barge Club
- Ecole des Beaux-Arts
- Episcopal Academy
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.