Like many young architects of his generation, H. Bartol Register sought a Beaux-Arts influenced education in architecture. Having attained that through study both in Philadelphia and abroad, he successfully launched a career that expanded beyond the residential work on which many architects relied.
He was born in Philadelphia, the son of Dr. Henry Carney and Sita (Bartol) Register. He attended the Haverford Grammar School and graduated from the William Penn Charter School in 1905, then received his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1910, followed by his M.S. in Architecture in 1914. He spent 10 weeks in the Atelier Hebrard in Paris and also attended the T-Square Club Atelier, then under the patronage of Paul P. Cret. In 1911 he entered the firm of Evans, Warner & Bigger; when Bigger returned to Pittsburgh in 1912, he assumed his interest in the firm, changing the name to Evans, Warner & Register. After Warner's death in 1914, this office essentially dissolved; and by 1916 Register had established another partnership, this one with Marmaduke Tilden, Jr., under the name Tilden & Register. This continued in operation through 1926, when it was enlarged to Tilden, Register & Pepper with the addition of George W. Pepper, Jr..
Register withdrew from that firm in 1936, was associated with Rankin & Kellogg during the early 1930s (specifically on the design of the 30th Street Post Office), and then worked sometimes in association with Davis & Dunlap from 1935 to 1946, contributing to the design of Bala Cynwyd High School. According to entries in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide for 1935, Register also associated with Edmund Krimmel on the design of Highland Homes Development in Wayne, PA, for the Federal Emergency Administration, Housing Division, Public Works Administration. In 1946 he retired from active practice.
Register joined the AIA in 1916 and became a fellow in 1943; he also served as secretary for the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA. Joining the T-Square Club, he served on the committee for new membership from 1914 to 1916.
Register maintained his ties to the University of Pennsylvania, serving as a part-time professor of design during the school year 1925/26 and as an assistant instructor of design in the School of the Fine Arts for the years 1926 to 1928.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Merion Cricket Club
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- St. Davids Golf Club
- University Club
- University of Pennsylvania
- Ecole des Beaux-Arts
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.