George T. Pearson was born in Trenton, NJ, to William and Frances M. Pearson, and attended the New Jersey Model School and Trenton Academy. He began his apprenticeship in New Jersey with Charles Graham (C. Graham & Son, Elizabeth, NJ), but first appears in the Philadelphia city directories for 1871 listed simply as architect. By 1872 that has changed to show his employment by Addison Hutton as a draftsman. Pearson continued to work for other architects, such as John McArthur, Jr., until he opened his own office in 1880.
Pearson practiced architecture in Philadelphia until his death. While his work was chiefly residential, it also included a number of resort hotels and churches, as well as a few office buildings. He benefitted chiefly from the patronage of John B. Stetson, the Philadelphia hat manufacturer, for whom he designed a residence, factory buildings, and the Stetson University in Deland, FL.
Pearson joined the T-Square Club in 1896 and was a member of both the national and the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA. Throughout his career he maintained a residence in Germantown, the neighborhood where much of his work can be seen.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.