[Stony Point Presbyterian Church]
Sketch of the Presbyterian Church
(Frederick M. Mann, architect, 1901)
Frederick M. Mann was born in New York and received his B.S. from the University of Minnesota in 1892, followed by his B.S. in Architecture from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1895. His first appearance in the Philadelphia city directories is in 1898, when he is noted as an instructor at the University of Pennsylvania. He disappears in 1899, but reappears in 1900 to 1902 as an architect with offices at 328 Chestnut Street. During this time he designed several churches in the Philadelphia area, but later Mann would be better known as an architectural educator. From 1902 to 1910 he headed the School of Architecture and Engineering at Washington University in St. Louis, MO, and in 1913 was called back to the University of Minnesota to organize their Department of Architecture. He retired from that post to his ranch in California in 1936.
Mann joined the T-Square Club in 1895 and was proposed to that group by L. V. and D. K. Boyd. He became a member of the AIA in 1901 and received fellowship status in 1916.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- Washington University
- University of Minnesota
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2018 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2018 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.