Local ID #: BG_1913-11-19_15_761 (Sauer)
Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders' Guide,
> View more images [2 total]
Andrew J. Sauer received his architectural training through two of the schools in Philadelphia which, although not primarily interested in architectural studies, provided classes in architectural drawing before either the University of Pennsylvania or Drexel Institute had begun their programs in architecture. At the time that Sauer was studying at the Franklin Institute Drawing School (1892-1895) and the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (1902-1903), however, both the University and Drexel were in operation. Nonetheless, due to the costs involved, these programs were not always chosen by students who needed to maintain fulltime employment or for whom funds were limited. Sauer distinguished himself at both the Franklin Institute and at the Academy and received commendations in design from both. His later success in architectural practice could be an indication of the strength of his academic preparation.
Although Sauer began his architectural career around 1900 by designing public schools for Philadelphia, a Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide citation notes his resignation from the Board of Education's Property Committee in March 1901; and his first independent projects are recorded in 1905. By the end of 1906 he has established a partnership with University of Pennsylvania graduate Frank E. Hahn under the name of Sauer & Hahn. This partnership lasted until 1915: and, thereafter, Sauer headed the firm of A. J. Sauer & Co. for some 25 years. Chiefly known for the design of commercial and industrial structures, Sauer's firm designed such factories as the Diamond Textile Machine Co. at American and Luzerne streets in Philadelphia (1912) and the alterations to the Cunningham Piano Co. building at 4946 Parkside Avenue in Philadelphia (1918). Throughout his practice were sprinkled a number of motion picture theatres, such as that for the Northwest Realty Co. at 31st and Wilt streets in Philadelphia (1915) and the Hunt's Theatres in both Pitman, NJ, and at 817 North Broad Street in Philadelphia (alterations, both 1922).
Sauer was an active member of the T-Square Club and was the second recipient of the Walter Cope Prize in 1905 for his design for "A Recreation Park and Pier on the Delaware River Front."
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Franklin Institute Drawing School
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.