John T. Mahony (Mahoney) was born in Ireland and first appears in Philadephia city directories listed as an architect at 143 Walnut Street in 1852 although by that date he had already been at work for some time at St. James the Greater (38th and Chestnut streets, 1850-52; demolished, 1881) and several other commissions mentioned in the Public Ledger as being his at this period. Mahony also appears to have been involved with the Cathedral of Ss. Peter and Paul (Logan Square, 1846-64) with or between the supervision of Napoleon LeBrun and John Notman.
Mahony was also one of 19 signers of the application for the Pennsylvania Institute of Architects in 1861. Between 1862 and 1864 he maintains an office at 603 Walnut Street, but after the later date he disappears.
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Pennsylvania Institute of Architects
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.