Louis Magaziner was born in Hungary and came to the United States in 1887 with his parents, Henry and Cecelia (Rosenbluth) Magaziner. He graduated from Central High School in 1896 and received his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1900. He then worked in a succession of architects' offices, including those of Frederick Mann
, Cope & Stewardson
, Albert Kelsey
, and Newman & Harris
, where he became head draftsman and architectural designer during the period 1906 to 1910. By 1907 Magaziner had established his own firm with William Woodburn Potter under the name Magaziner & Potter
. This firm, which lasted until 1917, was only the first of many Magaziner would form during his long career. Chief among these were Magaziner & Eberhard
, Magaziner, Eberhard & Harris
, and Louis & Henry Magaziner. Equally facile with many building types, the Magaziner firms were responsible for colleges, hospitals, clubs, and banks. In recent years, his designs for Art Deco style movie theatres, including those for the Midway and Uptown Theatres in Philadelphia, have been rediscovered and have achieved considerable prominence.
Magaziner became a member of the AIA in 1942. He was registered to practice in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Ohio, and he was also a founder of the Homewood School, formerly the Hebrew Sheltering Home. He also held memberships in the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts, Franklin Institute, Philadelphia Art Alliance, and the T-Square Club.