Charles E. Rahn studied at the Franklin Institute Drawing School during spring term 1885 and then in 1887/88 and 1892/93 he was enrolled at the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art. He appears as a draftsman in the Philadelphia city directories from 1897 to 1898 and thereafter, until 1930, as an architect with offices at 410 Walnut Street. The earliest projects found for him in the University of Delaware collections, where his journals and drawings can be found, indicate a general practice commencing around 1899, with several projects for builders who commissioned rowhouses. Among these builders, C. R. Siegel (1902) purchases designs for rowhouses at the southeast corner of Paxon and Race streets; Robert Wilson (1899-1902) concentrates on developing residences on 52nd Street and 57th Street; George W. Clark commissions plans for 20 houses on the north side of Spruce Street. From 1903 to 1908 Rahn shares an address with Paul Mohr (410 Walnut Street); however, no firm connection has been established between the two.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
- Franklin Institute Drawing School
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.