Lewis P. MacKenzie appears in the Philadelphia city directories beginning in 1912, but his first documentation as part of the Philadelphia architectural community can be found in the Rankin & Kellogg payroll books preserved at The Athenaeum of Philadelphia. In these he appears for the period from 15 December 1913 through November 1914 as part of the staff working on the firm's design for the Episcopal Church in Avalon, NJ. By 1919 Mackenzie has established a firm with Joseph H. Wiley (MacKenzie & Wiley), and he will remain with this firm until the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide announces on 18 March 1931 that the partners have dissolved their association. MacKenzie then continues alone until 1934, when he establishes Mackenzie & Blew which endures until 1939. From that time until 1949/50, when he launches MacKenzie & Wigmore, with offices in the Architects Building, MacKenzie appears to work independently. This firm continues through MacKenzie's last listing in the Philadelphia telephone directories in 1952; however, according to the Journal of the American Institute of Architects, he had died in 1949/50.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.