John S. Schwacke was born in Philadelphia, the son of Justice Henry and Mrs. Henrietta Strubing Schwacke. He attended Drexel Institute's building construction and pen and ink rendering classes and entered the Rankin & Kellogg office in 1891, becoming a member of Rankin, Kellogg & Crane in 1925. In 1926, when Crane retired, Schwacke continued as a silent partner in Rankin & Kellogg. During his long tenure with the firm, Schwacke actively worked on most of their important commissions, including, but not limited to, the Passaic County Courthouse in New Jersey (1896), the Jacoby residence in Cape May, NJ (1899), the Falls of Schuylkill branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia (1911), and Haddon Hall in Atlantic City, NJ (1921).
Schwacke joined the T-Square Club in 1894 and was subsequently active in the house and memberhsip committees. He joined the AIA in 1916 and was also a member of its Philadelphia Chapter, serving as treasurer in 1927 and as presidenct in 1930 and 1931.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.