Charles W. MacFarlane, the son of Andrew MacFarlane, studied architectural drawing in the Franklin Institute Drawing school from 1868 to 1872. He then appears sporadically in the Philadelphia city directories from 1883 to 1910, beginning as a civil engineer (1883-1887), but then changing to architect in 1888 and remaining with that occupation until 1891. He disappears from the directories from 1892 to 1904 and reappears in 1905 with "real estate" as his occupation. As indicated by project references found for MacFarlane in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide and in the Scientific American Building Edition, he was involved in residential development.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- Franklin Institute Drawing School
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.