Biography

ARCHITECT AND ENGINEER
Biography Projects Biographical References Related Architects printer-friendly version  
PHILADELPHIA ARCHITECTS AND BUILDINGS
SEARCH
OUR PARTNERS

Born: 2/24/1857, Died: 7/20/1928

Engineer and architect, T. Mellon Rogers was born at 716 Spruce Street in Philadelphia and attended Episcopal Academy before enrolling in the Franklin Institute Drawing School for two quarters in the 1868-69 school year and again in 1871/72. His first appearance in the Philadelphia city directories is in 1884, when he is noted as a mechanical engineer residing at 1610 Pine Street. In 1885/86 he was a draftsman with the Philadelphia Water Department, but by 1886 he has become a a partner in the firm of Culver & Rogers, with Newton H. Culver. This partnership continued until 1888, when Rogers became associated with the Constable Bros., remaining with them as Constable Bros. & Rogers until 1890. Thereafter Rogers began to work independently, with an office at 1122 Walnut Street. He then continues in the Philadelphia city directories through 1906, with his office finally at 605 Real Estate Trust Building although in citations found in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide his address is given as Devon, PA. By the 1890s Rogers's specialty in the restoration of colonial buildings has begun to emerge with projects such as work for the Daughters of the American Revolution on Independence Hall as well as considerable reconstruction and restoration on Old St. Davids Church in Wayne, PA, where he served as vestryman.

Written by Sandra L. Tatman.

School Affiliations

  • Franklin Institute Drawing School

 

Philadelphia Architects and Buildings | About | Participating Institutions | Feedback | Search | Login
Website and System: Copyright © 2024 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2024 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.