Established by two University of Pennsylvania graduates who had also both worked for Horace Trumbauer, McGoodwin & Hawley (Samuel D. Hawley and Robert Rodes McGoodwin) enjoyed considerable success during its somewhat short-lived stint of operation. Initially the young firm concentrated on the residential designs needed to develop Queen Lane Manor in the East Falls neighborhood of Philadelphia, but their work soon attracted the interest of Dr. George Woodward, who was then constructing residences on Navajo Street and Willow Grove Avenue in Chestnut Hill. By 1911 McGoodwin & Hawley were actively employed by Woodward but had also spread their realm to New Jersey and were at work on "Rosedale House" for Barker Gummere in Princeton. McGoodwin's marriage to Kate Bryan of Charleston, SC, also provided the partners with entry to that community, where they would design a library in 1912, the year that the partnership dissolved.
Sandra L. Tatman.
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.