Henry A. McGrath was born in Philadelphia and attended Roman Catholic High School before studying architecture at the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art and engineering in Drexel Institute's evening program (1912). He also attended evening ateliers held at both the T-Square Club (1918) and the University of Pennsylvania (1916). By 1909 he was working in the office of Herbert C. Wise, spent six months in the employ of Day & Zimmermann in 1911, then went on to the office of Albert Kelsey (1911-1914) before entering Price & McLanahan in 1914. He then remained with that firm and its successors through 1944, finally working with Ralph B. Bencker as chief draftsman.
When Bencker wrote McGrath's obituary, he described his friend in this way: "His approach to architecture was sound and sane. His design tended toward the conservative - because he shunned fadism rather than because his taste was wedded to the past."
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
- Drexel Institute
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.