The son of veteran Philadelphia architect Robert Rodes McGoodwin, Daniel McGoodwin began his architectural career in Philadelphia, but moved in 1946 to Portland, OR, where he remained. McGoodwin had attended Chestnut Hill Academy and the Taft School before obtaining a B.A. from Yale University in 1936. Returning to Philadelphia, he gained his B.Arch in 1939 followed by the M.Arch in 1940, both from the University of Pennsylvania. At the University he was the recipient of a number of awards and honors in 1939: Theophilus Parsons Chandler Fellowship, Brooke Medal, and Alpha Rho Chi Award. By 1937 McGoodwin had already joined his father's office, but in 1940 he moved over to the Paul P. Cret firm (1940-1941). After serving as a Commander in the U.S. Navy during World War II (1941-1945), McGoodwin returned to Philadelphia and to the office of Howell Lewis Shay; but 1946 found him in Portland, OR, an associate of the office of Lawrence, Tucker & Wallman. He remained with that firm until 1949, when he organized his own office.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Oregon Chapter (AIA)
- University of Pennsylvania
- Yale University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.