Born in Baltimore, MD, William C. McPherson received his training as a carpenter in that city. Around 1846 he moved to Philadelphia and launched his own successful business as a builder and contractor. His projects included the clubhouse for the Athletic Club of the Schuylkill Navy, but perhaps his best-known project is Philadelphia's City Hall, where he served as superintendent for nearly 20 years, resigning in 1893, but actually staying in the position until January, 1894, shortly before his death.
Around 1885 McPherson established William C. McPherson & Sons, with sons William C., Jr., and Horace E. McPherson. Following his death, Horace continued supervising the business.
McPherson was one of the founders of the Master Builders Exchange.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- St. Andrew's Society
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
- Master Builders Exchange
- Columbia Club
- Athletic Club of the Schuylkill Navy
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.