New York architect George B. Post received his B.S. in civil engineer from New York University in 1858 and then joined the office of Richard Morris Hunt as a draftsman. By 1860 he and Charles D. Gambill had established their own partnership in New York, but the Civil War interrupted their office career. After the war, however, the partnership resumed until 1866. By 1868 Post was working on his own, and he continued so throughout the rest of an illustrious career which included such landmark buildings as the Equitable Life Assurance Building and the New York Produce Exchange. In the Philadelphia area Post's office designed the Park Building in Pittsburgh (1896) and the Prudential Life Insurance Company Building in Newark, NJ (1890).
In 1905 Post changed the name of his firm to acknowledge the contributions of his two sons to the office. Thereafter it was known as George B. Post & Sons
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.