Competition for the design of a small city house
Local ID #: 1915/101b
Although Harold Tatum eventually became an architect of some note in South Carolina, his career began in Philadelphia. Tatum was born in Woodbury, NJ, the son of Henry and Deborah (Wright) Tatum. He received his Certificate of Proficiency in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1911, but he had already begun his office training with Walter Smedley (1905-08) and Cope & Stewardson (1909). After graduation, he began working as head draftsman for John T. Windrim, but by 1913 he had moved to Day & Klauder as chief designer and was responsible for much of the work on buildings for the University of Colorado, the dormitories at Princeton University, and other projects of an academic nature. In 1919, Tatum moved to South Carolina, first settling in Columbia and moving in 1934 to Charleston. While in South Carolina, he was responsible for the Calhoun State Office Building in Columbia, as well as the restoration of the First (Scots) Presbyterian Church.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- T-Square Club
- University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.