Son of distinguished builder and contractor, Allen B. Rorke, Franklin M. Rorke carried on the family business after his father's death in 1899. He did change the company name to Franklin M. Rorke & Co., Builders and Contractors. Franklin M. Rorke first appears in the Philadelphia city directories in 1893 as a clerk, but by 1895 there is a clear connection to his father's business and a promotion in occupation to "superintendent". Even after the Franklin M. Rorke & Co. citation disappears from the city directories, Franklin M. Rorke himself continues as a builder through 1906, then disappears for 1907, to reappear again in 1908 as a contractor. Thereafter he lists himself in various capacities, including "tipstaff" (1910 to 1912). His final listing occurs in 1925, when he appears as a salesman.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.