Victorine Du Pont Homsey was born in Grosse Point, MI, the daughter of Antoince Biderman du Pont, Jr. and Mary Ethel Clark du Pont. She earned her undergraduate degree at Wellesley College in 1923, followed by an M. Arch. in 1925 from the Cambridge School of Architecture (Smith College). She presumably met her future husband and partner, Samuel E. Homsey while in Cambridge, and they married in 1929. They immediately began collaborating in an architectural firm (Victorine & Samuel Homsey) which they moved to Wilmington, DE, in 1935. This firm was succeeded by Victorine & Samuel Homsey, Inc. in 1962, and the Homseys retired in 1979.
Locally she was a founding member of the Delaware Center for Horticulture and was a member of the Greater Wilmington Development Council, Community House, Inc., the Garden Club of Wilmington, and the National Society of Colonial Dames of America, Delaware Chapter. Victorine Homsey was made a fellow of the American Institute of Architects in 1967. She further served as the chair of the Restoration Committee of the Octagon House of the American Institute of Architects and was a member of the advisory board of the Historic American Buildings Survey. Under President Ford, she also served on the Washington Fine Arts Commission.
Sandra L. Tatman, and
Emily T. Cooperman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Wellesley College
- Cambridge School of Architecture
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.