The elusive John Darragh may be tied to the history of Old St. Joseph's Church (1839) on Willings Alley in Philadelphia. A memoir published in 1886 to benefit Old St. Joseph's Church mentioned John Darragh as the architect as well as a member of the building committee. In Philadelphia city directories Darragh emerges in 1828 as a house carpenter. By 1835/36 he also notes an address at 209 South 7th Street, where he remains through 1839. From 1837 through 1839 he lists his occupation as builder.
Another lead which further intrigues regarding Darragh is a reference in Dennis Steadman Francis's compilation of architects' listings from the New York City directories. A John E. Darragh appears in New York City from 1887 to 1899 as a member of the firm of R. L. Darragh & Co. No connection between the New York Darragh and the Philadelphia Darragh has yet been found, however.
The Philadelphia John Darragh was elected to the Carpenters Company of Philadelphia in 1822.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.