After an education obtained at Hart's Grammar School and the Northeast Manual Training School, William F. Lotz received most of his architectural training with Herman Miller (beginning in 1909). Although most of his practical training came from Miller, he did undertake some evening classes with Wetherill P. Trout at the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art. There followed a succession of occupational changes, including work for Day & Zimmermann (four years, c. 1910 to 1914), the Atlantic Terra Cotta Co. and the New Jersey Terra Cotta Company in Perth Amboy, NJ. Returning to Philadelphia, Lotz began a long relationship with William Steele & Sons (1914-1924), where he rose to become head of the architectural department. In 1924 he launched his own contracting firm: William F. Lotz, Building Construction, with offices in two rooms on the second floor at the rear of the Oxford Bank and Trust Co., building at Frankford Avenue and Overington Street.
As his sons matured, they joined the firm. On 6 September 1949 the office name changed to William F. Lotz, Inc., with William F. Lotz, Sr., as president, William F. Lotz, Jr., vice president and treasurer, and John J. Lotz, executive vice president and secretary. In 1972 grandson William F. Lotz, III, a graduate engineer, entered the family business.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Engineers Club
- Union League of Philadelphia
- General Building Contractors Assoc.
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
- International Correspondence School
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.