Born in Wilmington, DE, to John and Annie (Steck) Greiner, John E. Greiner received his B.S. from Delaware College in 1880, adding a degree in civil engineering in 1884. He first worked as a draftsman for Edgemoor Bridge Works in Wilmington (1880-1883) and then moved to Pittsburgh, PA, and the Keystone Bridge Company (1883-1885). There followed two employers, each granting Greiner more responsibility in bridge building. These included the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Co. (1885-1891; 1893-1908) and the Philadelphia Bridge Company (1891-1893). After the 1904 Baltimore fire Greiner examined damaged buildngs and worked to establish a new building code for the city. After 1908 he worked independently as J. E. Greiner Company of Baltimore, but in 1995 this firm merged with URS, a San Francisco engineering and architectural corporation. At the time of his death Greiner was residing in Baltimore, MD.
Recognition came to Greiner in the form of an honorary doctorate of science, awarded by the University of Delaware in 1917, and a doctorate in engineering awarded by Johns Hopkins University in 1937.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- American Railway Association
- American Society for Testing Materials
- Delaware College
- University of Delaware
- Johns Hopkins University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.