Son of Benjamin H. Latrobe, Jr., Charles H. Latrobe also attended St. Mary's College and gained employment with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. Following service as an engineer in the Confederate Army, Charles H. Latrobe returned to Baltimore and entered the Baltimore Bridge Company, a concern in which his father was also engaged. In 1875 he became engineer of the Jones Falls Commission, contributing iron bridges and retaining walls to the project. Later he became involved in Baltimore's city parks, including Druid Hill Park and Patterson Park, where his distinctive "umbrella houses" would lead to the Patterson Park Observatory design of 1891.
Latrobe was also consulting architect for McKim, Mead & White's Lovely Lane Church in Baltimore and is credited by James D. Dilts with designing "a system of timber and iron trusses to support the 130-ton tile roof and the Delorme-type wooden and plaster dome that covers the church auditorium . . ."
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.