Born in Baltimore, John Prentiss Browne graduated from the Polytechnic Institute before going on to the Maryland Institute, where he graduated in 1949. He supplemented his architectural training with night courses at Johns Hopkins University.
During World War II Browne had served as a draftsman with the U. S. Marine Corps (1944-1946), but after the war he worked as a contractor from 1946 to 1949 with the Arundel Construction Company, Inc. Following graduation from the Maryland Institute, he became a draftsman with Smith & Veale (1949), followed by a longer stint with Hall, Border & Donaldson (1949-1951). In 1951 he moved to the office of L. P. Kooken, but only remained there through July, 1952. In 1953 he launched his own architectural office in Baltimore.
Browne joined the AIA as an associate in 1950 and then gained full membership in 1953.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Baltimore Chapter, AIA
- Maryland Institute
- Johns Hopkins University
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.