Joseph N. Hettel was born in Camden, NJ, and eventually practiced architecture from offices in New Jersey. He attended the Franklin Institute from 1902 to 1904, the Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art from 1904 to 1907, the T-Square Club Atelier from 1907 to 1909, and Drexel Institute from 1909 to 1911, accomplishing all of this through night classes. By 1903 he was already employed by Price & McLanahan, where he remained until 1905. He then transferred to E. F. Durang & Son from 1906 to 1911, Brockie & Hastings from 1912 to 1915, Ballinger & Perrot from 1916 to 1920, and McLanahan & Bencker in 1920. In 1921 he and Benjamin Lackey established Lackey & Hettel, with an office in Camden, NJ. Chief among their works were the Camden County Vocational School (1926) and the Philadelphia Osteopathic Hospital (1929).
In 1930 Hettel returned to independent practice and remained so through 1946, but in that year he and William Kendall Albert began an association which lasted until shortly before Hettel's death. Hettel & Albert designed the First Presbyterian Church, Merchantville, NJ (1955).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- T-Square Club
- West Jersey Society of Architects
- Pennsylvania Museum and School of Industrial Art
- Drexel Institute
- Franklin Institute Drawing School
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2017 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2017 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.