Reuben W. Peterson first appears in the Philadelphia city directories in 1858 as a draftsman in an office at southeast 6th and Walnut streets. In 1859 he remains a draftsman but has relocated to 427 Walnut Street, an address shared by John A. Stewart. From 1860 to 1861 he lists himself as an architect at 152 South 4th Street, the same address given for Samuel Sloan; but from 1865 to 1871 he was in an office shared by John McArthur, Jr. and William Andrews, first at 209 South 6th Street (from 1865 to 1868) and later at 205 South 6th street (1869 to 1871). In 1868 Peterson, along with McArthur and Andrews, exhibited their design for the Masonic Temple at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.
Peterson was among the first to be admitted to membership in the Philadelphia Chapter of the AIA in 1879.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.