[First Mention, T-Square Club Competition]
Group of Street Accessories
(by H. DeCourcey Richards, 1902)
Chiefly known as a school architect, H. DeCourcey Richards appears sporadically in the Philadelphia city directories from 1908 to 1923, but his earliest listing in the Manuals of the City Councils of Philadelphia occurs in the 1906/07 volume,when he is listed as chief draftsman for the Board of Public Education, a position which continued at least through 1919 for DeCourcey. The schools with which he was associated are inventoried in the volumes published by Franklin D. Edmunds as The Public School Buildings of Philadelphia.
It is also apparent from references found in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide that Richards was respected for his school designs outside of Philadelphia. His work can be seen also in Roanoke, VA (Jefferson High School, 1920), Bridgeport, PA (1922), and Wayne, PA (1922).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.