[problem in architectural construction]
Local ID #: 1922/133
Harry E. Parker was born in Southampton, PA, to George A. and Elizabeth Ewing Parker and attended the George School. He received his B.S. in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania in 1910 and his M.S. in 1913. In 1910 he worked briefly for John T. Windrim, and from 1910 to 1915 he worked for Price & McLanahan, and his first independent projects are recorded in the Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide in 1914. Although no formal partnership can be documented, the 10 January 1923 Philadelphia Real Estate Record and Builders Guide does state that he, H. Rex Stackhouse, and J. Fletcher Street were opening new offices at 1120 Locust Street.
Parker retired from active practice in 1950 and thereafter devoted himself to teaching. He had been on the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania since 1914 and continued there through 1957.
Parker joined the AIA in 1921 and served as Treasurer for the Philadelphia Chapter in 1923 and 1924. He was also a member of the Print Club and published a number of monographs on the subject of architectural construction.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Philadelphia Chapter, AIA
- Print Club
- Construction Specifications Institute
- University of Pennsylvania
- George School
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.