Born in Louisiana, Henry Hobson Richardson sought architectural education at Harvard College and later at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. Choosing to remain in France during the Civil War, Richardson returned to the United States in 1865 and set up an office in New York. After a partnership with Charles Gambrill, he moved to Brookline, MA, acknowledging that most of his work was emanating from the New England area. He remained in Massachusetts for the rest of his life.
Richardson's impact on American architecture cannot be overestimated. His study of Romanesque and other medieval styles produced his distinctive "Richardsonian Romanesque", a style which was immediately adopted and adapted by scores of architectural practitioners, both in the United States and beyond.
Beginning in the 1880s and continuing after his death, Richardson's office executed landmark commissions in Pittsburgh, including the Allegheny County Courthouse and Jail (1883-1888) and Emmanuel Episcopal Church (1883-1886).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Ecole des Beaux-Arts
- Harvard University
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.