Juggling a career as an architect with a career as a minister in the Methodist Church, DeWitt Sanford Dykes, Sr., was born in Glasden, AL, and earned a Bachelor's Degree from Clark University in Atlanta in 1930. From 1932 to 1954 he served as pastor for several churches in the East Tennessee Annual Conference, but he also supplemented this income with work as a brick mason. By 1951 he was teaching masonry at Austin High School in Knoxville, TN. As Dykes rose in the Methodist Church administration, he also began to take on more responsibility for the design and construction of Methodist churches. In this way he became connected to the Methodist Department of Architecture located in Philadelphia and directed by Norman G. Byar. After many years employed by the Division of Missions, Dykes took courses from the International Correspondence School, located in Scranton, PA. In 1965 he earned his certificate from the ICS.
In 1970 Dykes became officially registered as an architect to practice in Tennessee and became a member of the AIA in 1970. He expanded his registration to Virginia in 1973.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- International Correspondence School (Scranton)
- Clark University (Atlanta)
- Boston University School of Theology
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.