Born in Charleston, SC, Leroy John Henry Brown attended the Colored Normal Industrial Architectural College and Mechanical College (now titled the South Carolina Agricultural & Mechanical College), earning his B.S. in Mechanical Arts in 1936. In 1944 he added a B.S. in Architecture from Howard University's School of Engineering and Architecture. After graduating in South Carolina, Brown worked for the War Production Board; and for some part of World War II he returned to South Carolina and taught at the College. After earning his degree from Howard, Brown became part of the faculty there and remained until his retirement in 1977.
In the early 1950s he opened an office in Washington, DC, and in 1955 he earned his M. Arch from Catholic University. From his office in the District Brown undertook several projects from the National Capital Housing Authority, including apartment buildngs at Parkside Dwellings and a 34-townhouse addition to Langston Terrace.
Brown joined the AIA in 1956. In the early 1960s he assumed the editorial position with NTA Journal, published by the National Technical Association, an organization which furthered publication by African-American scholars in technical fields.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- National Technical Association
- Howard University
- Catholic University (DC)
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.