German-born architect Hermann J. Schwarzmann is chiefly known in Philadelphia as the principal architect for many of the buildings erected in 1876 for the U. S. Centennial Exposition. He designed Memorial Hall, Horticultural Hall, the Judges' Pavilion, and the Women's Pavilion, among others. Schwarzmann, won of Joseph Anton Schwarzmann, a popular painter/decorator in Munich, had studied in the Royal Military Academy in Munich and emigrated to the United States in 1868. By 1869 he was in the employ of the Fairmount Park Commission and later was made Architect-in-Chief for the Centennial Exposition. In 1876 Schwarzmann also attempted to launch an independent practice with George Pohl, but that enterprise proved unsuccessful. The following year found him involved in the office of Schwarzmann & Kafka with Hugo Kafka and with Edward O. Schwagerl in Schwagerl & Co., landscape architects. Both partnerships lasted only a short time, and Schwarzmann moved to New York, where by 1881 he had established the firm of H. J. Schwarzmann & Co., with Albert Buchman. In 1885 this firm name was revised to Schwarzmann & Buchman, a title which continued until 1888 when Schwarzmann retired.
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Royal Military Academy (Munich)
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.