Established in 1948, when Howell Lewis Shay's two sons formally joined the architectural firm, this office maintained rooms in the Packard Building in Philadelphia, one of the older Shay's notable designs. The office continued the school work that had been associated with Shay's former partnership Ritter & Shay but also designed hospital buildings and academic buildings for colleges and universities.
In Pittsburgh Plate Glass Products (November/December 1954) this firm, in its newly renovated office space in the Packard Building, was profiled. The articles notes, "Today there are 75 people in the organization, 17 of whom are registered architects or registered engineers. In addition to the registered architects they have a complete department that can handle all engineering for new or remodeling construction." In the article James Thomson is illustrated as "head of Design Department," with "George" Nauta, probably actually Donald H. Nauta heading the Architectural Department and E. A. Vanderslice leading the "Mechanical Department."
Sandra L. Tatman.
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2022 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2022 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.