Evan Peters was a master builder elected to The Carpenters' Company prior to the date of the earliest surviving records of the 1760s. He first appears in The Company records early in 1770, the same year he made a pump for The Company lot. (Making pumps may be been a particular speciality of Peters's. In his inventory was listed "1 pump Shank & 7 Boaring Bitts (best) ...500.0.0 pounds," an unsual item to find in a carpenter's estate.) Peters died in 1779. In 1773, Peters, along with James Nevill, advertised the sale of multiple buildings in Philadelphia. The advertisement also lists James Nevill as having drawings of the buildings. The previous year Peters took an apprentice named John Brotherson for the tenure of two years and six months in order to teach him the pump making business and the rough parts of the business of a house carpenter. Another advertisement from 1768 lists Evan Peters as a contact for the purchase of stones and other milling equipment. It is unclear whether this is the same Evan Peters. In 1769, Peters is listed as having one servant and receiving a tax of 14 pounds and 4 shillings. In 1774 he was assessed for 17 pounds and 4 shillings.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2023 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2023 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.