John Smith, son of the master builder/architect Robert Smith, was registered as a student at the Pennsylvania Academy in Philadelphia from July 1760 to April 1765. He was listed as the administrator of his father's estate in 1777, and, in fact, was working with the elder Smith on the Delaware River fortifications at the time of his death. John Smith continued to serve the patriot cause as a superintendent of carpenters erecting cannon platforms from September through November 1778. In 1779 he was elected to The Carpenters' Company but was irregular in his attendance at meetings during the latter years of the Revolution. In 1783 he was elected Warden, only to be replaced in the Spring of 1784 because he had moved to Chester County. According to Company records, Smith had financial difficulties; The Company paid his funeral expenses in 1805.
Roger W. Moss.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- Carpenters' Company of Philadelphia
- University of Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania Academy
Links to Other Resources
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2020 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2020 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.