Henry J. Blauvelt appears in the Philadelphia city directories from 1884 to 1899 under various construction industry occupations (including builder, contractor, and lumber supplier) and with various company affiliations, including Blauvelt & Co. (1894-95; 1897-98), Blauvelt & Anderson (1896), and Blauvelt & Yerkes (1898). Following a hiatus in the directories for 1900 to 1907, Blauvelt reappears in 1908 as an architect, which he remains through his final listing in the directories in 1911, only adding the occupation of engineer in that last year.
Information available in the national AIA membership archives indicates that during the years 1899 through approximately 1907, he may have been practicing as an architect in Winston-Salem, NC, where he had an office in the Gray Block in 1901. His application for membership in the AIA in 1901 asserts that he had been in the profession for approximately 25 years, but had only been located in North Carolina for about two and one-half years. In Winston-Salem, NC, , he designed the William B. Taylor residence, at 915 West Fourth Street (Blauvelt & Gates).
Sandra L. Tatman.
Clubs and Membership Organizations
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.