A. G. Curtin School,/Twentieth and Catharine Streets./Thirtieth Section./(From an old wood cut.)/(Site now occupied by the Chester A. Arthur School.)
Local ID #: 489
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 479, 489
S 20TH ST near CATHARINE ST
> Search near this location
> View location in
Also on this site:
Chester A. Arthur Combined Secondary and Primary School
Andrew G. Curtin Secondary School
This building was within the thirtieth section: "The boundaries of the Thirtieth Ward of the City of Philadelphia, which comprises the Thirtieth Section of the First School District of Pennsylvania, are Broad and South Streets, along South to the Schuylkill River, to Ellsworth Street, to Gray's Ferry Road, to Washington Avenue, to Broad and South Streets. . . there were five schools within the limits of what is now the Thirtieth Section. . . These schools were the Edwin M. Stanton, James Pollock, Andrew G. Curtin, William S. Peirce, and the Western School." (Curtis, p. 479).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2021 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2021 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.