[Manual Training School]
Central Manual Training School/Northeast corner Seventeenth and Wood Streets
Local ID #: 177
Custis, John Trevor. The Public Schools of Philadelphia, Historical, Biographical, Statistical. Philadelphia: Burk & McFetridge Co., 1897.,
p. 177, 179-184
NE corner of 17th Street and WOOD ST
> Search near this location
> View location in
Boys' Secondary and Primary School (Tenth Section)
In 1868 the school building was originally occupied by the Fifteenth Section School until 1885. Established in 1885, the Manual Training School moved into an existing building on the corner of 17th & Wood Streets. On September 17, 1890, the school established a second school due to growing demands. The Northeast Manual Training School was located on Howard Street below Girard Avenue. The summer of 1896 the Boys' Secondary and Primary School moved out of the Cherry Street building and the building was then used as an annex by the Central Manual Training School, (Curtis, p. 281).
Links to Other Databases
Philadelphia Architects and Buildings |
Participating Institutions |
Website and System: Copyright © 2019 by The Athenaeum of Philadelphia.
Data and Images: Copyright © 2019 by various contributing institutions. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.